Alpha Modern furniture restoration workshop
Alpha Modern is a restoration, upholstery and furniture design studio based in Alexandria, Sydney.
Led by Byron Georgouras, a craftsman and sailor who honed his craft from a young age racing and (frequently) repairing timber boats. Alpha Modern now completes restoration projects for a range of interior, museum and collector clients on designer furniture pieces from Australia and Europe to the highest standards.
In this course you will learn the art of furniture restoration, taking a well weathered mid-century chair and restoring it to a standard that is ‘better than new’ - a trademark approach of Alpha Modern.
You will be learning the process of restoration through
- Repairing damaged joinery
- Removing the original aged timber surface
- Preparing the timber surface for a new finish
- Refinishing in a traditional Scandinavian method
- Reassembling the chair and protecting the surface
Each piece has already had the chair seat and back professionally upholstered by our master upholsterer in a premium Warwick Fabrics material.
The skills learnt from this course will then be able to be applied to your own at-home restoration projects, allowing you to maintain your mid-century investments or take on restoration projects yourself, bringing great personal satisfaction whilst contributing to a sustainable planet.
At the end of the course students have the option to purchase their restoration project (including the upholstered sections) for an additional $99 (valued at $350) to take home.
What you’ll get:
- Access to all tools needed for restoration
- Consumables including stripper, sandpaper, oils, wax
- Protective wear including gloves, masks, goggles and apron
- Morning tea including coffee, tea, drinks and pastries
What you’ll need to bring:
- Clothes that you are prepared to get dirty (long sleeve shirt and pants)
- Students must wear fully covered shoes (ideally rubber soled leather work boots)
- Lunch or buy your own lunch at one of the nearby cafes